RAMADAN, A TENET OF FAITH IN ISLAM
BY ALLAH'S COMMAND, Fasting Prescribed for Believers
"O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you, even as it was prescribed for those before you, that ye may ward off (evil)" [2:183 - Pickthall]
The Prophet (pbuh) has said:
Narrated Ibn 'Umar: Allah's Apostle said: Islam is based on (the following) five (principles):
1. To testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and Muhammad is Allah's Apostle.
2. To offer the (compulsory congregational) prayers dutifully and perfectly.
3. To pay Zakat (i.e. obligatory charity) .
4. To perform Hajj. (i.e. Pilgrimage to Mecca)
5. To observe fast during the month of Ramadan.
[Bukhari, Book #2, Hadith #7]